how many Ballers had a surgery this year? What was it?

Razorskier1

• Baller

I would ask about injuries, but that list would be way too long!!! So -- how many of you have had/will have a surgery this year? I had a left knee meniscus done last Wednesday. Good news, knee feels great now. Bad news, we have now removed enough of the medial meniscus that the next surgery (which I hope will be many years from now) will be a knee replacement (according to my surgeon).

What about the rest of you?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Broke both sides of my talus on an OTF even though I came out of bindings. I had to have both sides of my foot operated on, this was back in mid-July. I have made a ton of progress but am not walking "normal", have some residual swelling and some pain. At this rate I'm just hoping I can ski next summer.

• Baller

Malleolus fracture surgery LF Aug 2014 with hardware installed. Hardware removed Jul 2015. Pushed it a little too hard and caused an incision healing issue. Almost 28 months since the fateful evening sesh when I tightened my top boot cord too hard. yfxx6eoy7263.jpeg

dm4mqksyc7b6.jpeg

• Baller
Waiting on the surgical scheduling nurse to set my surgery up for my wrist. Finally broke down and went to Dr and got MRI. Torn Scafal Lunate Ligament. I thought it was just arthritis the last couple years, but getting to the point where it just feels like it is sprained continually. Maybe I will have better down arm pressure on my offside lean next season!

• Baller

@JWebSki Ouch. Your timing for February should be about right. Tore my ACL, partial MCL late last summer, surgery in October, back skiing in April, first tournament early June. All went well following rehab with great help from PT, and gym time.

Did wear a DonJoy brace all summer for caution. Hardly knew it was on while skiing. Ditched it about a month ago.

Good luck!

• Baller

Medial posterior meniscus of rear leg knee (left) Surgery October 17th

Had a decent 3 weeks in the middle of that time but lately really bad. Can't put almost any weight and painful as hell. Worried I'm done in this sport. Arthritic knee, I'm 57 and skiing some of the best of my life. Tore that damn knee at -35 off.

Doing physio, excercises 2x day. But if I miss a day or work too hard?.. ouch!

Any advice fellow meniscus yankers?

• Baller
Finally had my total right knee replacement done Oct. 5th. Not ski related but definiely affected my skiing, had worn knee braces for lots of years previous. Sooo much better now, was walking without aids at two weeks. Would have had it done in the fall 2015 but tore up my left shoulder (for the 2nd time) June of that year, had to fix that first. Rough sport, especially for an old dude...

• Baller
This was my third meniscus surgery. Now about all that can be taken out, has been taken out. Various arthritic/wear problems are there. He said the next surgery will be a knee replacement. I'm hopeful this surgery gives me 5-10 years and then I'll get the knee replaced. I don't intend for that to stop me from skiing.

• Baller
Getting along well Steve, thanks for thinking of me. You always hear of people who've had total knees saying after the fact that they wish they'd done it sooner? I definitely wish that I'd had mine done sooner. I was bone on bone, the doc who did mine told the wife after surgery that mine was one of the worst he'd seen and this guy does 100+ a year and has done them a lot of years.

• Baller

So I had C5/C6 disc replecement and instead of doing a fusion they did a artificial one. Long story short that was gonna allow me to keep my mobility. Can't tell you how much better I feel and even all the muscles that were protecting it for so long feel so much better and are able to relax more. I think that's one of the sorest parts of my body after I take a break from skiing after I come back is the lower traps , sub scap area. @Horton I'm nit kidding you when I woke up from the surgery the surgeon had a giant Starbucks in his hand, then he told me to go for a 2 mile light walk when I got home. If anyone needs the very best surgeon just outside of Orlando , I have your guy.

CP

• Baller
@CParrish43 -- that's great to hear. Cervical disc technology has improved a bunch over the years, and is great for people like you with otherwise healthy spines. For older folks like me, who have lots of arthritic developments in the spine in addition to disc issues, the only solution is fusion. Glad to hear you could do the bi-level artificial disc. 5 year clinical data on it shows superiority (better outcomes) to fusion in cases like yours.

• Baller
I appreciate it @Horton , I'm really psyched about next season to say the least. @Stevie Boy thank you as well man , gonna be back at it full go. @Razorskier1 yes my father went with the fusion a little over 10yrs ago and I can see the difference with his lack of mobility compared to the disc I have. @Mark_Matis my parents go to Jewett Ortho and are very well know here in Orlando. The surgeon I went to is also legendary, his name is Dr. Masson and he's at the Neuro Spine Institute in Ocoe/ Wintergarden. I don't want to name drop cause I haven't asked but there are a couple other well known skiers that had surgery with him and he has different sports athletes from even all over the world to get work done by him. It's pretty amazing what these doctors can do now ah days, I was a outpatient and the whole entire surgery only took 1hr and woke up in no pain , felt pretty good for the circumstances.