how many Ballers had a surgery this year? What was it?

Razorskier1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

If any of you guys are having wrist pain when you try to do pushups, you should probably go see an ortho and get a MRI. I have been dealing with this for a few years on my left wrist, and just thought it was old age or arthritis. My grip strength on my left hand had gone down so much, I finally went in and a MRI, which revealed I had ligament damage. After going in, the Doc found one ligament was unfortunately so far gone there wasn't anything he could do with it, other than make the bone surfaces as smooth as possible. Maybe if I went sooner, he could have grafted another tendon in there or something. At this point, if the pain is not alieved by the cleanout work, the next step would be fusing bone to bone, which leads to loss of flexibility, which isn't desirous!

He cleaned up another ligament that was frayed and also cleaned out some arthritis at the base of my thumb. The area on my palm had bad scar tissue from my trigger release, so he also cleaned that out and hopefully this won't be a wear point on my gloves as bad!

Hope everyone has a healthy and prosperous New Year!

• Baller

Fell in a parking lot on ice on Decmeber 17th, limped and iced my left foot till the 23rd, decided to get and x-ray, then sent directly to the Ortho Surgeon who sent me to the OR on December 24th @ 9am. Displacement, another small fracture (not seen on the x-ray) and piece of bone that cracked off. 3 hr surgery, cement and a pin in my foot later, cast and no weight bearing for 6 weeks. Really? Who has time for this???

Very sad Baller at this point!

At least its off season!

rcsxnexp3rbc.jpg

4ru8g03uoay3.jpg

kens4mog9afk.jpg

• Baller
@GaryWilkinson have you looked into PRP injections? You might do some reading on I as well as ask your ortho. I am a PT, and have seen some tremendous success in situations such as what you have described in your circumstance. Just a thought and option...Best of luck in moving forward!!! And, I also have to agree...You are not done!

• Baller
@Shell thank you! Life is pretty good living under the nerve block...Fun will come about 6 hours from now when it wears off unfortunately! Yeah, I nursed mine since January 2016, and with the lack of comfortable sleep and it constantly affecting work, it was time to just get it done. Happy new year to you and best of luck with your shoulder!!

• Baller

@ToddA my wife is currently dealing with what the first ortho thought might be a slap tear, but nobody read it as 100 percent positive on the MRI. Rotator was all intact and she still had pain after the MRI Arthrogram so not in the shoulder. Tried PT for 1.5 months until they said she should have seen some improvement and sent her back to ortho.

Biceps Tendon Sheath injection led to 2 weeks of relief but unfortunatly now that wore off. She is seeing Dr 2 next month (poor timing!!!!) but we are worried she is gonna be told cutting the tendon and reattaching is likely.

Moral of the story, don't try wake surfing, and if you do make sure the buddy who is teaching uses a surf rope not his wakeboard rope and handle.

• Baller
@xrated I am sorry to hear that!!! Biceps Tenodesis procedures have come a long way since I became a PT 17 years ago. She should expect a full functional recovery and back to surfing/skiing etc. Wish you all luck in moving forward!!

• Baller

I didn't have surgery but I have spent the last 60 days in the hospital and now rehab due to a pancreas issue. More than 50 of those days were in bed in the hospital.

The prognosis is good for full recovery but it is going to be a long road back. I lost over 50 pounds and have no muscle tone or aerobic capacity.

It has been a scary event but I am happy to be on the road back. The 2017 ski season is probably not a reality but I plan to be strong and ready to go for 2018.

I'm pretty sure my right knee is going to have to be cleaned up soon. I'm going to push through this season and hopefully be able to put it off until maybe next November/December. Had my left meniscus removed over 30 years ago and no big problems/issues with that knee so far. Hoping to have the same results on this one. It currently has limited ROM and will periodically mimic "locking" like the left one did prior to the surgery. Fun times but at almost 48, I'm not ready to stop.

• Baller_

Just got my MRI reuults. Torn ACL and torn meniscus. Happened back in June at Cedar Ridge. I felt a slight pop while going down the bank to swim out to lower a bouy that came up. Thanks @Chad_Scott. (Kidding)

Doing a scope to clean up meniscus next week and will do ACL in oct. Plan on graft

• Baller_

@ms good thing you weren’t doing anything athletic or stressful on that knee or you really would have been hurt.

@Gloersen do you have an acl video similar to the Achilles repair, except maybe with a bigger saw and drill? Oh yeah and more hammering into the bone? That would really give @MS something to look forward to.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

5 weeks post surgery on a C5-6 ACDF. Mine was similar to @CParrish43...used a new polymer spacer with bone growth “encourager”. Man I feel so much better. All the dead spots and pain are gone! Can’t believe how much my body was compensating in those muscles until they could finally relax. 9ssgtmqlcrr9.jpeg

• Baller_

Is anyone willing to share the costs of these procedures? I haven’t had any injuries requiring any reconstruction or replacements, but, at my age, it’s becoming more likely.

What does a new shoulder cost? Bicep re-attachment? Hip? Achilles re-attach?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Found out I have a torn acl, rear leg, and bucket handle medial meniscus tear rear leg. In Canadia the docs are a little more passive. I'm 40 so holding off all surgery and doing phsyio and staying active. lots of balance stuff.. but I bike, run and do lots of intense works outs from the workout trainer app (good app for those looking for efficient hared minutes off fun). Have some arthritis in there and so my focus is more long term. Knee replacement likely. @garywilkinson I'd get a better understanding of the mobility of the new knee and if it aligns to waterskiing I may consider. I know the motion of the new joints not there for sports like hockey.

My reason for holing off on surgery is speeding up the arthritis and removing meniscus which gets me closer to bone on bone which equals game over or new knee anyway. The advice I have appreciated the most is "don't treat the image treat the symptoms. You do surgery for pain and stability"....im ok here, but you sound like its getting towards the a decision point.

Up here in the north lol, we obviously have a ton of hockey guys and so many regret rebuilding acl's and meniscus injuries once they are over 30 years old.

Matt

• Baller

Mine wasn’t tied to a skiing injury but on 3/9/2017 I had a Whipple for a pancreatic tumor which included removing the head of the pancreas, a piece of your stomach, some of the small intestine, your gall bladder and a bunch of lymph nodes. The good news was it was benign so I am still here.

That was followed in June by something called a VARD to remove dead tissue as a result of the pancreatitis prior to the Whipple. That surgery finally let me start to really get better starting in July.

There were also multiple small procedures to put drains in to get bad stuff out of me and a filter to prevent blood clots from migrating.

All told it only cost me a couple of thousand dollars max out of pocket but my guess is the total bill was close to 500k. Thank god for insurance.

Hopefully the only thing happening in 2018 will be getting the filter removed.

• Baller
Do whoever was asking about jumping after a torn hip labrum, a jumper I am not, but I was a dirt biker and was able to go ride and ski after labrum repair. But when they say 6 months recovery they mean it!!! Heck it still hurt on occasion for a year.

• Baller
Tore my left bicep tendon in my first tournament last Aug. Came into the 5 ball late with my eyes and the handle pointing directly at the ball. Bit off more than I could chew but held on with all I had then pop! Ended up having three surgeries in Sept and Oct on it. 1st was to reattach the tendon. 2nd was to remove the internal dissolvable stiches that my body rejected (stich abscess) when the incision opened up and spit out one big stich at 3 weeks post opt. The 3rd surgery was to redo the repair that was torn out when a female friend who I hadn’t seen for some time jumped in my arms for a hug late night at the tavern. Finally able to start rehab this week!

• Baller
I am post-op as of yesterday, 2-27-18 for Left Tympanoplasty (ear drum hole repaired again). I busted my eardrum back about 15/20 years ago at Bareffoot School in Winter Haven, FL. It healed on it’s owen but was weak. Two years ago, I stuck my pinky in my ear due to water intrusion after skiing, Then it blew open and I went to my knees. Had surgery 1 1/2 years ago and it failed after 6 weeks. If you have this done, research for a good doctor........... I assumed I had a good doctor on 1st operation but was told by yesterdays Dr that the initial procedure wasn’t done correctly. Today, I look ugly with a lop-sided wrap around my head. I am on the DL until mid April.