D3 Ion

kc

• Baller
So we’ve seen the teaser ads from D3 about something new coming. There’s a banner at the top of their homepage now with pictures of two slalom skis called the Ion. There’s also a photo of Ryan Canepa riding one. It says “limited availability”. I guess we’ll be hearing more soon.

• Baller
I've got three sets in on an ION-S. Just 28s and 32s at 34. What is a noticeable improvement (for me) on this ski is the offside. Coming from an EVO (a 2018, and not an EVO-S), the offside is much more "there" for me. Hard to describe - just more reliable, consistent, and solid on that side. Onside is similar to EVO, which for me was great. Ski speed is good, but the ION-S has a feeling of being more in the water than the EVO. Rounder tail bevels? I like it a lot. First three sets were with standard fin at stock settings. Next set will be with my Denali fin, which I felt was an improvement on the EVO over the standard fin.

• Baller
Per D3’s website, Ion is the replacement (next generation), for Evo. NRG-R1 still being offered. @Cent, I like original NRG better than the NRG R-1 also.

Just turned 15, so going 36 now. Previous was 3@35/34mph. 2 weeks ago started skiing 36mph, thanks Keith! Got around 6@32/36 last night and then fell after 1@35. Blaming the wind?

Trying some different ski’s this year, coming off a 64 Arc-s

Thanks Chris 55!

• Baller
I have the red and it seems to be working for me , I’m thinking I will be keeping this ski ... what I was told is the s is for those on the bubble of weight for a ski ... like if your on the high end for a 67 and want to go to a 68 you do a soft ...

• Baller

Just took my first set on the Ion (red). I wasn’t expecting much because one, it’s a new ski and two,I haven’t been on the water for almost 3 weeks.

I went out at 22off 36mph. Immediately I’m like this ski feels to good, it’ll suck at 32 and 35. Couldn’t have been more wrong. Stroke 35 and run 3.5@38 off the dock. Give 38 another shot and get around 5 ball. Best performance ever in practice.

I’m coming off a 2019 Evo.

What blew me away was how the ski just keeps moving towards the centerline. First 38, I thought I was going to blow the tail out at 2 ball. Second 38, thought I was done at 3 ball. But the ski just gripped and kept going. Old ski hesitated some when finishing the turn. It also took awhile to fine tune how it reacted in the pre turn in regards to deceleration.

I’m riding a 67 and I’ve got my boots at 29.5625. Fin is at 6.949 length, 2.476 depth and 0.747 DFT. Wing at 8.5.

• Baller
@Spencer_Shultz that is an impressive first set, curious as to your binding placement, where I think the D3 recommendation for the 67 is 30.00". I am on a 67" Red Ion too but I am way past the age of 36mph. I have skiied 7 sets on it and it inspires a lot of confidence for me, esp on offside.

• Baller
I have only ridden the blue ski for 4 sets, but I gotta say....I think this might be a keeper. Need to ride the red one too, just to see the difference. @Spencer_Shultz description is very similar to what I feel. This ski just keeps moving and pointing towards center line, especially on the onside (2,4,6) which is usually my nemesis. It very stable, predictable, and forgiving into and out of the turn. It has really good cross course speed. It sticks with you when in scramble mode and doesn't punish you if you are on the tail or pushing on the tail. I am coming off a Goode XTR. This ski turns as good, if not better than, the XTR and has more cross course speed. Something I have not been able to find in any other ski I have ridden. I never thought I would be able to come of the orange and black crack, this may be my chance for getting clean!! :#

• Baller
I would be interested, in the difference between the EVO and the ION speed wise, I tried the EVO and felt for me, it was a lot slower than the Radar Pro, I was later told if you move the bindings back on the EVO it was a fair bit quicker, than stock setting.

• Baller

I took my 67" ION-S for it's first ride the other day.

It is a super stable ski that is easy to feel balanced on. I felt that it turned really well regardless of body position or front foot pressure.

The only thing that was unique about it's turning was that it really responded well to more aggressive turning regardless of weight distribution or if I was late or early.

It took me until the end of my set to learn to trust this.

I look forward to getting more sets in on this ski.

• Baller

I am at stock fin and boots 1/8" back from stock and still have only used my ski once so far but I know that a lot of ION and ION-S skiers are enjoying boots 1/8" back from stock and the fin a little bit shallower, longer and with a bit more DFT.

Nate Smith and Charlie Ross are included in the group of skiers using this type of a setting on their fin.