NEW PROSTAR??????????

dave2ball

• Baller
Gotta hand it to MC on this one. This is definitely a boat I can see appealing to both the hardcore private lake crowd, and the guy with a family and a cottage on a public lake crowd. The Nautique misses this mark by a mile, and the Malibu... the Malibu is just so dang ugly. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Malibu guy but MC would get my dollars if I was buying new.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@escmanaze my 2018 tower was either 6000 or 6500 on that build sheet. Pretty darn close whichever. I'm kind of wondering if the tower brackets are the exact same dimensions....so perhaps I could have them just stick my existing tower on the new boat at the dealership...and sell my current one without. Tower and mounts look identical

• Baller

@Horton I feel another Katana video coming on where you show us the wakes clear down to 24 mph again. Please?????

Maybe this time around, HO could send you one of their new Fusion Freerides as that seems to be their comparable competitor to the Katana eh?

• Members

I'm sure there must be someone on here who was thinking of ordering a 2021 and after reading all these positive comments is like "nope not for me", I mean it seems they only solved all the pain points of the previous boat that was amazing and lowered the price.

Good news I have a 2020 that I'm happy to sell :-)

• Baller

@elr -There was a lot of speculation that this new boat would get a “trick tank,” such that manual weights wouldn’t have to be put in the trunks or in the walk through in order to give the wake decent lip/curl. It doesn’t look like that happened based on the presented information.

I do see the MTS ballast in the spec sheet but I think that is the passenger side ballast for skiing without a spotter.

• Baller
I was so damn close to buying a new 200 before the covid lockdown. I would be crying in my soup right now if I pulled that trigger. Looks like very single gripe I had about our '15 has been solved, with the added bonus of a 6.0 engine for less money. Patiently waiting for the boat builder to play with color combos.

• Baller

@skimtb I'd imagine some deep factory rebates for dealers to move them. I'm also wondering what this will do to the $100k SN's sitting on lots. My SN dealer buddy told me sales for them are already non existent (at least for him).

I may be stating the obvious, but the MC/BOS affiliation clearly helped lead to this boat. The changes they incorporated, including price, are all issues we've discussed at length on this forum. Kudo to MC for listening.

• Baller

It is so nice that they still cater to our needs. A business case could be made for ditching us and filling all production slots with wakeboard boats. Many dealers have no interest in selling dedicated ski boats.

My ski partner gets a new MC each year (promo). When the new engine came out in '20, I wondered if the ZO would jive with it or if it would take some time to iron/figure out. It is awesome and it is apparent that time was spent to make it so. The '19 was the best feeling boat I have ever skied behind; not an accident. Of course time will tell but these latest changes indicate that they are really trying very hard to please us. I am grateful. Their efforts will require the others to compete and will make the other two boats better as well.

• Members

Wow, the blue and white boat with "camel" interior on MC's site is stunning, sophisticated and SEXY, like a boat should be!!!

I do not care for seadek, but I will say it looks much cleaner, much better detailed than the Natique (no offense to CC) it just looks too busy / weird on the Natique.

All the refinements look to make an even better boat at a lower price point, amazing.

Look forward to seeing more.

• Baller

Just skied the new boat. Best set I’ve ever had. I haven’t been able to get around 2 ball at 36/32 all year. Never ran it in my life. Ran it first try behind the boat. Boat felt so great. I didn’t drive but I talked to the two different drivers and they said there is a large improvement.

The screen seems to be extremely user friendly.

The wake seemed slightly different, but still fantastic. Potentially better. Hard to say after 1 set.

It seemed as they have fixed or improved everything anyone has been upset about.

• Baller

First of all, thanks to MasterCraft, Action Water Sports, Freddie and Travis for the opportunity to see, ski and drive the all new 2021 Pro Star. The morning started off with Freddie doing an outstanding job of pointing out "all 25" of the new points of the boat. Even though he remembered all of them, he did not need to as the boat sells itself!

I have been a Nautique guy for over 30 years and have not been in a MC for at least 10.

Observations: The boat has tons of room. Seating is exceedingly comfortable. Large screen is very easy and intuitive to operate. Forward view while driving is excellent. Skied at 28 into 38 @ 34 mph and the wake was non-existent with no spray. 6.0 liter stock engine had plenty of power and provided a great pull. Drove a skier through 35 off and tracking is on rails. The first few passes, I actually "over-corrected", but by the second 32 off, because of the precise steering and tracking, very slight inputs are all that are required. The boat tracks under skier load really well. There is no "roll side to side" at all.

Slow speed manuverability is also good. Damn good looking boat...inside and out. Not a big fan of sea deck, but MC does use it tastefully. (think there is way too much on a CC). Boat is really quiet. Pretty darn hard to find any short comings with this new boat. Think this boat has it all, great wakes, great tracking, great looks....and a good value. This boat will be in high demand. Thanks again to the above for a great morning.

• Baller
Nautique Guy also, but have loved the current boat the last few years skiing and driving at my ski club. BUT was still a Nautique guy, this new boat if it lives up to the billing will make me change my tattoo! Great job Mastercraft! You guys really listened and it is awesome to be heard!

• Baller
@markn Great having you today. And, yes, Freddie crushed it. I was actually commending him, but we came to the realization that when you have a product as good as this and you truly love and believe in it's really easy to talk about it. Look we absolutely love our current ProStar, but there were a few things we would like improved. This boat did that without compromising anything we loved before. And, trust me, the more time you spend in it and behind, you are just going to enjoy it more.

• Baller

I just returned home after experiencing the 2021 Prostar at Action Water Sports. Thanks to them, Mastercraft and Freddie Winter for allowing this opportunity. I currently own a 16 Prostar and regularly drive our promo owner's 2020 so was looking forward to comparing the new boat against those I've been driving and skiing behind.

Freddie did a great job going through the changes and features of the new boat explaining the details and not hurrying through it which we appreciated (I brought along Dave and Carol James who are the Okeeheelee Mastercraft Promo owners).

I skied the boat first and found the wakes and pull to be similar if not the same as what we're used to which is terrific as the the Prostar has the best wake (IMO) of the big three. I'm men 7, so 32mph and I skied a couple of 28s, a 32 and a couple of buoys at 35 which about my current average.

Next, I drove the boat while Freddie skied 32, 35, 38 and 39 and found the tracking to be superior to the current boat. I had no trouble and really enjoyed pulling him as I had not pulled him in the past.

The driver ergonomics are improved as well. There is a larger screen which now incorporates the usual functions as well as eliminating the three hard switches that used to be above the ignition key. The screen is larger and provides everything you could possibly want (including a clock, thank you). The seating is still very nice with a change in the adjuster to similar to what is in the new Nautique (stationary adjuster and only the seat moves). The controls worked smoothly as expected and I had no trouble at all adjusting to the changes from the old boat. One thing that did surprise me, was no throttle stop (don't know if this was intentional or not, but all the boats have had one for a few years now, so not expected).

Overall, I'd say they accomplished exactly what they set out to do, very impressive boat!

• Baller

Thanks to Action Water Sports, Mastercraft, Freddie Winter and Lou Alcamo for a fun afternoon to experience the new ProStar. From their spectacular grand opening with the night jump, fun affordable C class tournaments and the introduction of the new ProStar, Action Water Sports and Mastercraft continue to impress.

My wife and I were the last crew on Friday pm, arriving just after Roger and Tel. Freddie was knowledgible and gracious, but as we are friends of Lou's (we own his 2018 Promo) we gave Freddie a break from the heat. So a couple old ski dogs and a lady got to play with the new ProStar. I agree with the other posters; it skis well, tracks better and easier to drive, quiet, etc. I would add this boat is solid. After we skied and drove, Lou got in the seat add did a couple donuts to roughen up the water and drove through them, very smooth and not a sound. Mastercraft's "new advanced construction process " makes a very solid tight boat. I don't understand all the details of the process, but the results impress. Also all have reported great wakes. I would add that I did not see any additional weights or bags (Freddie can correct me if I missed them). Just us and our ski gear. Hard to imagine wakes getting better, but perhaps possible by adding to individual taste.

All in all a very impressive boat.

• Baller
@jjackkrash - by throttle stop, I mean when you advance the throttle, all the current boats have a stop at about 90 degrees of throttle. I did not detect any stop at all on the 2021 boat. Not an issue, just unexpected...

• Elite Skier

@TEL @markn @Roger @pugs thanks for the kind words and for coming out. I had a lot of fun taking you all through the boat and I'm happy everyone seemed to leave with a smile.

One reassurance to all (after @jjackkrash mentioned it), the new Prostar *definitely has a throttle safety latch*. @Roger, I'm afraid to say you must have missed it. I double checked today after seeing your post and it's there and working as intended.

Hope to catch up with you all soon.

• Baller
@FWinter - Not talking about the neutral interlock, talking about when you advance the throttle, all the boats the last few years have a stop at about 90 degrees. I could push this boat's throttle way past the normal stop area.

• Administrators

@Bdecker I haven't been in the boat yet but I asked one of the guys on the design team a similar question. My understanding is as follows.

The new boat does not slide laterally when pulled from the pylon. The additional fin and bottom design create traction in the middle of the boat ( at the pylon ). Because the rudder is at the back of the boat it has plenty of leverage to swing the back of the boat wherever you want to put it.

In other words, the skier can't move the boat side to side but the driver still has the same amount of control as before.

I would be curious to ask Colin (the naval engineer on the project) if the extra fin & rails creates more of a pivot point in the middle of the boat and actually helps make steering more precise.

• Elite Skier

@Bdecker during the development of the boat there were two concurrent aims on improving the driving experience: to improve both tracking AND steering. To the team 'tracking' is how well the boat goes straight and holds when pulled laterally while 'steering' is the ability for the driver to put the boat where he wants through wheel input.

To give you the short version, tracking has been improved with the additional fin and the 80+ inch rails to either side of the four fins along. Steering was improved with the introduction of an adjustable rudder and the elimination of the 'clevis' connection leading to a more direct connection from steering wheel to rudder. I'm sure those who drove the boat in the last few days would agree that there is no dead space in the wheel and lateral sliding from skier pull has essentially been eliminated.

The new boat turns on a dime when necessary and straightening up after turn islands is actually easier because of the better wheel-rudder connection with no slop in it.

@keithh2oskier I'm pretty sure some donut videos exist...

• Baller

Got a chance to see this beauty up close and in person. What a nice looking boat. The color of this boat is second to none. Red is not my favorite color but with the charcoal metal flake in the side of the boat it is fantastic. I thought the engine covering was very tasteful - it did not protrude as high as one might have thought. The lines are clean and very modern. I would describe it as: all business with a modern edge attitude.

vugc5r0cbal2.jpeg

j45k3yrffvkg.jpeg

9nw6n3ycetta.jpeg

mzk2l7rwtuot.jpeg

9yysj957tgbe.jpeg