Malibu 03 to 06 LXI vs. Malibu 07 to 14 LXI

jefflyman

Just sold my older MC and will be buying a used Malibu LXI before next spring. My self and friends like the older Sportsters, Response LX and LXI's the most, we all ski at 28 to 35 off free and courses. Were all debating on whether I should get the older models or a 07 to 13 LXI. We have skied a 08 LXI many years ago and noticed quickly at longer lines 15 to 28 off the wake was far from optimum like the older models with a much sharper and harder entry. With memory losing us we dont remember how the short lines were. I respect the guys here and please give me your thoughts. THANKS!

I agree with UWSkier. I assume that you don’t do any barefooting since you didn’t mention it, but the 03-06 is a terrific barefoot boat as well. I ski regularly behind 02 & 03 RLX and two 06 RXI’s. Very little difference. The wake is slightly wider behind the LXI (perhaps slightly shorter), but it’s definitely more tolerant to extra crew and weight distribution. Slalom wake is very good form 15- 32 off. Not running anything shorter these days.

• Baller

I've had an '04 RLXi, '12 TXi and '16 TXi. I skied a '07 RLXi and didn't like it a bit so skipped over that generation.

The '04 RLXi was one of my favorite all around boats. It skied well, you could barefoot it with a boom without too much chine spray and was a blast to drive. Some people didn't like the ergonomics of the driver seat so make you drive it first. If you're going to ski it at all DON'T put the barefoot plate on it. It destroys the slalom wake.

There's a couple of reasons I'd go with a newer one, though:

1. If you need to do double duty as a family boat the newer RLXi or RTXi will probably be better. If you try to put anyone up in the bow of an older RLXi you have to *really* pay attention or you'll bury the nose.

2. If you want a ZO boat.

Hope that helps.

Mike

• Baller
I have 07 Lxi, and waited until it came out, as it’s slightly higher up front, making the open bow more useable, especially on open water. Our family uses it a lot. As for wakes, our club has a responses and they have smaller wake, especially at longer lines and slower speeds, but 28’ and shorter the lxi has a much softer albeit wider wake. The 28’ and 32’ on the response is smaller but firmer and likely better for barefooting. A bit of shave and adjustment on the rudder tab and it tracks great. Use the wedge and mini tower and it’s great for wake and surf for kids and guests. Mine is in showroom condition stored in a dry boathouse. Classic white and navy color, and maybe for sale...

We have two Responses in the family. My dad has a '06 LXi, I have a '05 LX, and our neighbor has '03 LXi. One of our close friends also has a '98 LX. I've honestly done some of my best skiing behind the 98. There are a variety of skiers that all ski our boats from 15' off to 32' off and they all perform well.

I do notice a slight difference with my dads '06 LXi though. The wake is just slightly softer. Softer is the term I'd stick with. Less sharp maybe. I still think that the '98 LX has the smallest wake out of all of them. Maybe it's because there is no rear ski locker and the engine sits different that the 2000 models and beyond.

I was looking to upgrade in the next few years but from the sounds of it you should probably stick with either an '03 to '06 or jump to 2012 and newer. Good luck!!