Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

HO Works 02

skinutny

• Baller

I have been riding an HO works 02 for about 3 weeks now. I am coming off a 2018 Goode XTR. I really like the works 02, easier to generate cross course speed, Carry’s speed through the turn better and finishes turn better. I am riding a 67, I am currently using stock binding and fin settings. Has anyone tried a binding and fin setting they liked? Please share.

• Baller

@skinutny   post some video of your skiing a set/ several passes..... and tell us what you're feeling on the ski. What are you trying to improve (speed of turn, offside, onside, tail slide)?  By starting at stock settings for boots and fin, we can suggest the changes that will make it do what it is you want it to do.  Feedback, and another pair of eyes on it helps a lot. good luck.

• Baller

Stock is a solid place to start for sure. Speaking to a few people who have been trying it, it might be worth giving bindings back fin back & shallower a go. Up to half an inch back with bindings and 30-50 thousand back and maybe 5-10 thousand shallower with fin. I’ve gone in that direction and really felt the ski light up

• Like 4

• Baller
30 minutes ago, RobHazelwood said:

Stock is a solid place to start for sure. Speaking to a few people who have been trying it, it might be worth giving bindings back fin back & shallower a go. Up to half an inch back with bindings and 30-50 thousand back and maybe 5-10 thousand shallower with fin. I’ve gone in that direction and really felt the ski light up

It's always sketchy taking advice from a ballofspray newbie.  

But.....I'm gonna go with my instincts on this one, and say I'd probably take his word for it 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

• Baller

Maybe I missed this information, however, what are the very basic differences between the Works 01 and 02?

I’m not asking about widths etc.  I’m asking how they feel and SKI.

Is it only stability? Or something else?

Maybe a comparable would be the current Vapor Pro Build versus the Senate Pro Build? (I’m on a Senate right now – 34 mph).

• Baller
1 hour ago, lakeaustinskier said:

Maybe I missed this information, however, what are the very basic differences between the Works 01 and 02?

I’m not asking about widths etc.  I’m asking how they feel and SKI.

Is it only stability? Or something else?

Maybe a comparable would be the current Vapor Pro Build versus the Senate Pro Build? (I’m on a Senate right now – 34 mph).

There’s a YouTube video where Marcus Brown asks Dave Wingerter to explain the characteristics and differences between the 01 and 02. Dave even mentions skis from other manufacturers that would be closest to each ski. Very informative. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Works 01 doesn’t like to turn on the middle of the ski. You either have to be on the front or smoking the tail around. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. However it will get the JOB done a short lines. The 02 is super stable everywhere, fast clean and continuous off the back of the ball. I had to move up to a large in the latest version. Still working on settings. 

• Baller

All, I followed Rob’s fin and binding advice. I will experiment some more. I skied tonight and liked the way the ski felt, rolled on edge better, felt more stable in turns. I am currently at front binding 29 7/8, dft .786, depth at 2.490. Length still stock 6.840. I ski at 34 mph, stock wing is 9, I read someone on BOS, dropped wing to 8 because they ski at 34. I may try that. 

• Baller

With all skis, unless you are very good at being able to determine, what you feel the ski is or not doing for you, coming off of a different ski, it might be worth taking a little time on stock settings to see if you adapt or whether your style requires a adjustment to the fin, it,s not always the ski, sometimes it,s the person standing on it , it comes down to what the ski feels like for you.

Maybe look at some video or explain to respected skiers what you are feeling and see if they come back with a possible solution, somebody else,s settings are not always going to work for you.

It,s nice to know what somebody else is using for reference, even better if you understood why they made those changes.

Speed and Optimum line length may also come into play.

• Baller

Know this thread is about Works 02, but had to convey my experience with the Works 01 differs from that of @Beezer.  Have had 5 sets on my new 01 and think it works well front, middle or back.  On stock settings think the ski is darn impressive.  Wrote a review after my first set here on BOS.  Yep, if you need to scramble, slide the tail, need to slow down, get forward, early to the buoy, stay in the middle and have one heck of an awesome turn.  Just my experience.

• Like 1

• Baller

I’m 4 sets in on 67 large HO works 02

2.488 6.840 76.5  9 wing. Fb. 29 9/16

best ski I have been on 

and I have skied them all  D3 ion 2

Ho pro Ho omaga  HO Works 01

Goode xtr cc

2023 radar   plus a few others 

Here my take

easy to ski

rips turns both sides 

great angle and builds into the wake on both side I’m skiing the best I have since I got hurt in 2020

the other skis -32 was a scramble 

this ski wide early -32   With this ski I believe i will start running -35 again on a regular basis 

could not be happier

Edited by Deanoski
  • Like 7

• Baller
On 6/13/2023 at 4:22 PM, Deanoski said:

I’m 4 sets in on 67 large HO works 02

2.488 6.840 76.5  9 wing. Fb. 29 9/16

best ski I have been on 

and I have skied them all  D3 ion 2

Ho pro Ho omaga  HO Works 01

Goode xtr cc

2023 radar   plus a few others 

Here my take

easy to ski

rips turns both sides 

great angle and builds into the wake on both side I’m skiing the best I have since I got hurt in 2020

the other skis -32 was a scramble 

this ski wide early -32   With this ski I believe i will start running -35 again on a regular basis 

could not be happier

What's your height/weight @deano?   

typically I'd be on a 67, have been riding a 66 vapor for a few years but I'm ~170lbs.  HO chart says 66, 67 for those over 180.

• Baller
On 6/15/2023 at 12:29 PM, Killer said:

What's your height/weight @deano?   

typically I'd be on a 67, have been riding a 66 vapor for a few years but I'm ~170lbs.  HO chart says 66, 67 for those over 180.

If it’s any use I’m 180-185 ish (depends on how much ice cream I’ve eaten) on a 66. I have preferred smaller skis in the past so I’m definitely not a ‘usual’ case. But depends massively on your style and feel.

• Like 2

• Baller

Anyone tried either of the Whisper Fins on the Works 01 or 02? (I’m trying both skis.) I’ve liked the Whisper Original on every ski I’ve tried it on, but Fin Whispering website doesn’t have any suggested starting numbers for these skis. (I also have a Whisper Fin Pro, but haven’t put much time on it.)

TIA

• Baller
58 minutes ago, Drago said:

Personally, I would respect and trust the designers and use the fin it came with

Works 02 feels pretty good with stock fin at stock settings. As I said, I’ve tried the Original WF, after riding with factory fins, on D3s, Radars, and Connellys, and for me, they all felt better.

I get the Works skis are pretty new, but though this was the place to see if anyone had tried with WF. 

• Baller

I'm curious if the people trying the Works 02 or Works 01 used the HO demo program or just bought a used ski?  I ask because I've had a really hard time getting any information out of HO.  I signed up for the demo program over three weeks ago and they can't give me a timeline.   

• Baller
20 hours ago, lakeaustinskier said:

I'm curious if the people trying the Works 02 or Works 01 used the HO demo program or just bought a used ski?  I ask because I've had a really hard time getting any information out of HO.  I signed up for the demo program over three weeks ago and they can't give me a timeline.   

Edited by Mastercrafter

• Baller

Bummer to hear that.  I've had great customer service with HO in the past.  Hopefully they get their demo program up to par.

I've used the demo program through D3 a couple times and usually have the skis within a week or two.

• Baller

I have and 01 and a. 02 demo.  I know they are making skis as  fast as possible there is high demand on the works skis I’m told.

185 5-11. -28-35 skier 

67w 02   2.488 6.851 .77 9 wing 

t factor fb. 29-5/8

Willey rear.17-3/4

bang on the blue loop every set

love this ski 

Edited by Deanoski
  • Like 2

• Baller

WO2 Large @ 32mph:  Recommendations on initial set up?  165lbs. 6’.  I’m fairly consistent through 35off. Rarely run 38 in practice these days. Tournament avg 3.5@38. Start at factory settings or something different for 32mph?   I wish the mfgs would follow the lead of Denali by testing and publishing recommended settings(ranges) at 52,55, and 58K. 

• Baller

I finally gave up on the HO demo program. Supposedly they had a ski for me last week, but again, - no returned emails or phone calls.  

Huge kudos to Mike and Performance!  They're shipping me a Works 02 and as a bonus I'm getting a 15% off discount (July 4th sale).

Over the years I've ordered a lot of stuff from Performance and while they don't have a "demo" program they've always worked with me to get me on the right ski.     

• Baller
16 hours ago, HSL said:

WO2 Large @ 32mph:  Recommendations on initial set up?  165lbs. 6’.  I’m fairly consistent through 35off. Rarely run 38 in practice these days. Tournament avg 3.5@38. Start at factory settings or something different for 32mph?   I wish the mfgs would follow the lead of Denali by testing and publishing recommended settings(ranges) at 52,55, and 58K. 

Stock is solid for sure.  If that feels a little sluggish try something like…

29 5/8 - 6.845 - 2.485 - 0.760

• Baller

Interesting that there isn't more discussion about the Works 02 skis especially with the success of Jamie Bull and Rob Hazelwood on the 02.  I'm a loyal HO skier on the 2022 HO Pro and loving it but motivated to try the Works 02.  Is there anyone out there that has skied the HO Pro and tried the 02 and what are your thoughts?

• Baller
4 hours ago, mcskier41 said:

Interesting that there isn't more discussion about the Works 02 skis especially with the success of Jamie Bull and Rob Hazelwood on the 02.  I'm a loyal HO skier on the 2022 HO Pro and loving it but motivated to try the Works 02.  Is there anyone out there that has skied the HO Pro and tried the 02 and what are your thoughts?

for sure a way more efficient feel than the pro! I’d suggest trying it if you can get your hands on a demo and maybe taking some depth out of stock settings (probably 2.485-90) and maybe going bindings back (somewhere between 29 1/8-3/8 to give it some aggression like the pro!

• Like 3

• Baller

I was on the pro last season and switched to works 02 this season started on a 67 large 

I im 5'11" 180  run   switched to the 66 in mid june ran -35 more than I have in years awesome ski easy on the body compared to the XTR cc i tried during this time.  always turns and gets great angle and more important to me is it builds into the wakes and cast you wide and early.

boot and fin setting on 66

T factor FB 29 3/16 

willey rear 17 3/16

6.840 2.483 75.5 9 wing

Works 02 is a home run and you should try if you get a chance or if your coming off a pro it just easier to everything the pro Is a technicians dream when you are 100% on

The works keeps going when The technician is not perfect.

• Baller

I agree with everything, similar to the Pro, but easier on the body especially at slower speeds 32 mph and 34 mph. But I'm the only one here for whom the ski works better especially with the off side turn with more long shallow settings 68" Binding stock 30.50" Fin: 6.920, 2470, 0.795.