Anyone have experience with scam buyers on ski-it-again?

skinut

• Baller

I'm selling my N1 and received some emails from supposed buyers. Their emails are just a little off and I'm wondering if they are running a scam. Has anyone had similar experiences?

POSTING ID: SIA28074 CATEGORY: Slalom

2012 Goode Nano 1

Name: Elly

hi~~

I was interested your ski.

please tell me more about payment systems.

Do you have Paypal account..?

so i can make your payment?

Also please tell me your shipping method and cost to destination of zip code is 90005.(Los Angeles, CA)

I'd appreciate your quick response.

Thanks

Elly

Same buyer with a response to my reply.

Hi,

Could i get some discount please.?

Let me know final price (included shipping cost)

Best Regards,

Elly

What do u think...scam?

• Baller

@skinut‌ I've sold Elly two skis. It's actually some Korean guy in the background with even worse English than Elly. He is buying skies to resell somewhere. Elly is his American contact, but their communication skills are really off-putting.

I thought it was a scam. I even told them so then ignored them, but they persisted. I eventually sold them my old Elite because the loss would have been minimal. All went well, so I sold them my Nano One. Again all went fine.

They paid using PayPal, and I paid a bit extra on the shipping to get a signature at delivery so they couldn't say they never received it. It was weird, but the transactions went smoothly, the money has been in the bank for three weeks, and there's been no problems since.

• Members
got the same exact emails when trying sell my nano XT, I suggested they ise PP friends and family so I wouldn't get charged the extra 3% from PP, they didn't like that so I pulled the skied off the market for now. Good to know they might follow through

• Baller
Throw me in the mix too, have sold two skis to Asian buyers with LA addresses, felt ridiculously uneasy about it but they sent the money before the ski left, all turned out good, easiest transactions ever...

• Baller
Recently I too sold a ski on SIA. The very first day it was listed I had two guys wanting the ski. One was Asian from Los Angeles and the other was close by in Alabama. I sold it to the guy in Alabama but before doing so I spoke to the Asian from Los Angeles on the phone. He was ready to make a PayPal transfer then and there. I felt very uneasy about it but I've sold a bunch of stuff online to strangers and I've found that if they give you a phone number and you actually have a verbal conversation they are good to go. Still I felt it was very odd. The guy never asked any questions or anything, just "I'll take it". Looks like some guys here have done business with him or someone related and they're good to go. Out of curiosity I wonder whats going on with an Asian market for high end skis in Los Angeles.

• Baller
I had the same sort of message from them but the money was put in to Paypal and I shipped the ski , no problems at all it just seemed odd at the the time, I think they have limited language skills.

• Baller
Checks make me way more uneasy than paypal and that seems to be more common with SIA. Red flags start popping up with me when they offer to pay more than I'm asking. Unfortunately, poor English and punctuation has become so common these days that I would consider Elly to be above average and would've never given it a second thought.

• Baller
I sold an X7 on sia to a similar account that paid quickly via PayPal - no problems. Shipped to LA, destined for South Korea. I did contact Larry at sia first to see if the account had a history of problems.

• Baller
I have sold two Goodes to the Korean's in LA as well goes to an apartment in Burbank I think. They paid me via PayPal in one day, I let the money sit for a couple days then transferred it to my bank account. Once it was in my account I shipped the ski and it everyone was happy. Their communication isn't perfect and I was a little suspect but it seems their money is good, I would sell to them again.

Well I got a similar offer and am reluctant.

POSTING ID: SIA27082 CATEGORY: Slalom

2009 Blue Sky Sports Warp

Name: su

Email: zen1004@empas.com

hi~~ I was interested your ski. please tell me more about payment systems. Do you have paypal account..? so i can make your payment? Also please tell me your shipping method and cost to desination of zip code is 90248.(Los Angeles, CA) Can a bit of a discount? Is it possible in 1000 dollars ?? pretty please...shout me an e-mail ASAP.