Best ski ever

The_MS

• Supporting Member

Tough. My Nano One is the best performing ski I've ever owned. My lifetime tournament PB came on a 9900. But I think the subjective title of Best Ski Ever goes to the 9100. That's the last time I ever picked up a new pass just by changing skis. And that ski completely changed who I was as a skier. Before that ski, Nationals was my lifetime goal. Since getting on it, I've been qualified for almost every Nationals except where injuries or conflicts prevented it.

Probably there's a little bit of coincidence in there, but I'm certain I will always remember that ski very fondly.

• Baller_
I free skied for over 10 years on the Tech-1. Back in the late 70s before all the activity on Lake Wacoinia, you could ski 5 miles without turning the boat. I still have it on the wall next to a set of Tech 1 trick skis.

• Baller_
@webbdawg99 Monzas, I have 3. I was torn on what to name the thread topic, best ski ever, all time favorite or most time spent. Hard to compare the fun I had free skiing on glass for 5 miles to PBs and buoy count.

• Baller

Best ski ever was my Orange EP back in the 70's...Going from wood to fiberglass was HUGE !!!

Next big revelation was back around 1994, this Guy showed up in Kauai from Michigan named Dave Goode..Said he made Carbon Fiber Snow Ski Poles and had these Black Carbon Skis he wanted to test out with Hard Shells...I had a slalom course that I maintained on the Wailua River where I lived..In fact it was featured in Waterski Magazine at the time and one off the reasons he showed up there in the winter time...Long story, the group of Tournament Skiers we had there, all ended up on what would later be the 9100 Goode with Powershells...First time I ever got into 38. Even my Wife had one she skied on for 10 years.

Later I would have to say in evolution the Goode 9400, Wide Ride, 9900 Mid and the Mapple 6.0 that I have loved..Now ready for the next generation, which really looks positive.

• Baller
First demo set on my RS1 I ran a 2 buoy PB. Ran 22, 28, and 32 off on the first year I rode that ski all for the first time. Went to nationals for the first time on that ski and sadly it crapped out on me there. Inserts came out and brought the glass plate and carbon with them. I still have it sitting in my room!

• Administrators

Wait you guys are serious. ..

Most consistent up to my PB = Warp 14

Most forgiving all the way to PB = Nano One

All time practice PB ski = Green Vapor

• Baller
Game changer for me was the O'brien Mach 1 E.P. The first high performance fiberglass ski on the market. White ski with a red stripe and a black rubber "bumper" all the way around the edge. Still have one on the wall of fame at the barn. The first fiberglass ski on the market was, I believe, the Kimball. Although not a high performance shape it definitely opened a few eyes, especially Herb's!

• Baller_

Sentimental favorite = Tech-1

Easy PB ski stand on your head and make 20 mistakes but still run pass = N1

Put it on and ride it to practice average any time Monza

Ski that I named my dog after = CR7

Worst ski ever owned = Elite

Worst ski ever tried = White Nomad

• Members
Best ski ever was my first ski, an old Connelly that belonged to my neighbors and had turned pink from being in the sun so long(was originally red). All my neighbors cousins,and family members learned to ski on it. My neighbor and I came up with the name old faithful, and skied on it instill the back of the front slide binding(if y'all know what I'm talking about),and moved to a hand me down obrien Jr allegiance that brother had used for a season or two. Skied my first two nationals on the obrien, and then moved to a used d3 fusion. All of the skis I've ever used(3) have either been hand me downs,or used skis. The d3 fusion I'm currently on I've been told by so many people that it's too small. It's a 63, an I'm 5'5 125 pounds. I'm still skiing on it because I've run 32off on it, and gotten into 35off. I know said that the Connelly was my best ski,but the d3 is definitely my best ski ever.

• Baller_

@DmaxJC_ski I was sponsored by K2 in 1973. Sort of. K2 Experimental had a very deep concave at the tail of the ski and a very flimsy fin. Ski did not have a high degree of stability. Bad news: cost me an ankle. Good news: would have kept me out of the Army if my number had come up.

My PB (3@38/34) is on a Prophecy. My practice PB (2.5@39/34) is on an F1. I ran 4@32/36 on a wooden Mesle around 1974. That score always seemed to me like the biggest accomplishment.

Lpskier

• Baller
Kimball yes in '73/74 as far as I know. A white pair replaced the Cypress Gardens Bronco Combos we learned on. The slalom had a nice foam wedge behind the toe piece. Pointy tail. I skied better on traditional wood slaloms. A yellow and orange Connelly was the next one we had about 76. Then an EP Comp X2....

• Baller

For me the A1 and then A2 took me to a new level of skiing but I was coming off a system 8 and also started getting good coaching.

I actually do think the 14-15 radar vapor is currently the best ski of all time. The amount of skiers of all abilities who seem to instantly ski better is staggering.

• Baller_

@Horton more pics of a Tech-1...or was that not what you were after?. Also gotta add a +1 for the LaPoints MasterCraft skis. Went from a HO Mach 1 to a MasterCraft ski and man was that an eye opener.

oajralh3sw3y.jpg

• Baller

@horton this is a Tech-1 ... but probably still not what you're looking for:

5zap3s792cre.jpg

I traded the Tech-1, a Connelly Shortline, a EP Comp1, a Connelly trick, and a Technique all to Jud Spencer for one blank Russ-ski in 79. The Russ-ski was my first best ski ever.

• Baller
The Obrien World Team Comp holds a place in my heart. First real slalom ski my Dad bought me way back in the early 70s sometime. I still have that ski. And its still a good-looking ski with the grean, blue, and silver colors.