Masterline Ropes

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Hi Ballers, so I am looking at Masterline Ropes, I normally buy their most expensive Mainline, but seeing that I am never likely to require anything past 10.75m (39.5off) I am looking at there cheaper options, can anybody tell me the difference between the Normal Main Line and the DIX Mainline, there does not seem to be any info as to what DIX means.

Thanks in Advance for any Info supplied.

• Baller

I think the rope material is the same for their slalom ropes, 16 strand 10mm, unless it is their junior 8mm or they say what the line is.

The “normal” rope doesn’t have slide loops, section markers, and is not one continuous rope with added loop material, the sections can be removed. That may cause a difference in stretch, but could be fairly hard to tell.

I buy the DlX old style 8 loops (to 39.5) and everyone seems to like it.

Anyone who needs a shorter rope will likely bring their own.

Of course, always measure the sections after a few sets with some tension on the line. Mastelines are usually pretty good on measure but I have ahead a couple through the years that needed some tweaking. I don’t remember what brand they were.

• Baller_

I’ve used the white ML rope this summer with no twisting issues whatsoever. However, I removed the red and orange sections, and I don’t coil my rope, I fold it.

Coiling your rope causes twists. Well, actually it’s the uncoiling that causes the twists, but if you don’t coil it in the first place it won’t twist going out of the boat. It also doesn’t twist when you just pull it in and leave it in a pile on the floor of the boat, but that would really piss off my father!

Lpskier

• Baller

I feel like I treat my ropes basically the same sometimes coil sometimes just leave on the floor in a pile. Old black rope didn't twist. Current white one does. Putting a new black one in service after Labor Day, we will see what that one does.

Let's be clear, I don't notice the difference at the end of the rope nor do I really care it looks twisted.

• Baller
There are 2 coiling techniques that won't twist the rope. 1) make large coils without twisting that let the rope fall into a figure 8 in your hand. That may be the folding that @lpskier uses? It's common in nautical use for handling various lines. 2) An under/over coiling used with cables in entertainment. 1 coil is normal, 2nd coil folds under, then alternates. That puts a counter twist every other coil that uncoils with no twists.

• Baller_

@disland There we go. A story with a surprise plot twist at the very end.

@ScottScott Numero uno is close to right. Imagine the figure eight but no cross-over at the canter. Just a series of “U” shape folds of rope, back and forth across your hands. If done correctly, no twists, no tangles.

Lpskier

• Baller_
@LeonL, I ski with several people who will check the rope and untwist it, including at tournaments. It happened many times in our tournament yesterday. I do this as well. No need to be skiing with a springy or spongy rope.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
The method of coiling a rope by letting it fall into a figure 8 in one’s hand is what I learned ages ago when I started rock climbing and mountaineering. Using your neck instead of your hand (you let the rope fall off your shoulders as you loop it behind the neck) makes it easier to coil when dealing with 50 or 60 meter ropes (that’s 165 - 200 feet for those who still use antiquated units of measure :) ). You don’t want twisted ropes when climbing. Instead coiling with a twist apparently is what is used in show skiing. We had a discussion at our ski club about this: ballet lines pay out the ropes from the dock and the coils avoid snags. For slaloming it’s the opposite, like in climbing.

• Baller

I've been using the $50 8 loop rope (no line markings). It is the same rope as the dlx rope. Was told it's the same rope and construction as the non slide loop pro mainline. They aren't pre-stretched though. I go back and forth to the 11 loop lines and notice zero difference.

this is how I was taught to coil my rope:

• Baller
@ski6jones Many years ago I recall measuring (under 20 kg of tension) my severely twisted rope and it was almost 11" longer at 28 off when it was untwisted. A twisted rope also feels a bit spongy to me when skiing. To this day I make sure every twist is out of it before I get pulled up.