What are you going to do different in 2021 to improve your skiing?

Horton

• Baller

I started this year right - went to Matt Rini water ski school for two days. First days on the water this year. Plenty to work on and plenty of things to look forward to. Can’t wait to start ripping it up.

My goal this year? Run 35 off at 34mph. Beyond that would be better - so that is my stretch goal.

• Baller
Try to realise there is more to life than buoy count and go on to enjoy my skiing more, probably won't happen but as long as I am getting a buzz from it and meeting good friends I will keep at it.

A lot of things. Probably too much. However, I am really exhausted by doing the same things over and over expecting different results.

Starting season on new ski, NRG R2. (4 seasons on 2019 Radar PB.)

Different RTP, a flatter foot bed, only 1/2” instead of full 1”.

Less rotation on RTP, keeping it straighter

Modified White cuff Reflex shell. Cut down the cuff and cut down the inside of the foot shell

Changing to the Denali Gate. At 59 this is the hardest of all.

I free skied 4 sets on R2 with trying to implement the DG. My primary goal was to get the feeling of swing or “flip” at CL.

I have 4 sets in the course so far. Through 35 already. The DG is truly the biggest difference so far. It really allows me not to load the ski too early, which in turn allows the ski to swing.

Goal: To be consistent at 38.

• Baller
@jimbrake I am a father as well, although my three are 10 and under so I don't have to worry about that just yet... But you're right of course. I will absolutely still be skiing with the old man (who at 62 absolutely rips), but I can just ski a lot MORE now. Kind of a mixed bag of emotions and thoughts. Thanks for mentioning that, I will remember to be empathetic and try to hold my tongue sometimes!

• Baller
Whisper Fin Pro upgrade from Original, Wider gate and never lose tension on the left arm in the gate glide, Off hand stays high (between waist and chest), shoulders stay more square/down course especially on my onside, off season training was amped up.

• Baller

Update: I just got back from ski school after an ACL repair and 18 month off season. Huge thanks to @theboardingschool, great coaching, great accommodations. My knee held up, I learned a lot, and honestly skied smoother and more consistent up through 32off than I may ever have.

5 days, 15 sets, 113 passes, and 8 torn blisters later, in looking forward to a great season... after my hands heal up a bit

w4qfc796awyi.jpeg

300cesb44qx9.jpeg

po2j6kppln85.jpeg

• Baller

Coaching. Found a great Coach, my son (11) and I have been skiing with him at least once a week for a month now and the improvements are amazing. My son now running the full course and upping the speed, pretty soon he will be teaching me..... And after an injury, my daughter (9) joined us and is running the mini course.

I have a new ski too, but the coaching is responsible for the improvement.

• Baller
Before I get heavily into the course - going to try and be comfortable with the uncomfortable. More speed and more relative angle of ski to the water. I have a feeling that if I want to be more consistent at 32 off and have a chance to make some progress on 35 off I’ll have to get familiar and comfortable with this.

• Baller

Actually skiing on a course with some regularity, lol. After a 22 year break then only 6 ski days in the last 6 months I hope to take advantage of a new private water membership and:

Ski at least weekly

Off the water I will work on further enhancing my anaerobic (sprint/fast twitch capabilities) as I have been more focused on endurance sports previously. I developed a H.I.T. workout that I call "Cold Starts" trying to improve my ability to go from being inactive and not warmed to full aerobic capability in as short a time as possible (without ramping up so fast I hurt myself).

I will film myself and try and make my body do what I know I am supposed to do - comparing it to pros at the same speeds and line, then I will lean on my ski partners to offer additional advice, then I will seek professional coaching when I know what blanks need filled in and hit any walls.