Camaro Blacktec Tempurate Range

svxwilson

• Baller

Trying to extend my/our season.

At what temps do you use your Camaro Blacktec equipment at? I am interested in what you feel is to cold, and at that point do you call it quits or do you switch to a actual drysuit.

Until my last thread "What is your favorite drysuit" I didn't realize the potential of just a better wetsuit than what I have ($70-100 O'Neill). My close second consideration is the O'Neill Assault Hrbrid, but for the cost of the Camaro I could buy hers and mine compared to the O'Neill.

I am very interested in the Blacktec 2.0 Full for both my wife and myself. But any info would be great to see info for other Blacktec offerings such as the Spring 1.5.

The BOS community rocks! Thank you for your input in advance.

• Baller

I've got a black-tech long sleeve shorty. Great suit for warmth. Perhaps not as durable as I'd like is ok this season but showing wear that may not make it thru next. Having said that I would buy another I like it that much.

When there is any sun it absorbs heat between sets like no other wet suit. Very form fitting so little water comes in as well when skiing.

As for water temp transitions...we dipped below 60 degrees water temp and air temps about same right now. I could manage in the shorty I suppose but I went drysuit and no regrets...I hate being cold.

• Baller
Just got a Blackett 1.5 full suit from REI and have skied in it twice now. I love it, felt warm and not restricted. I did ski one set in my dry suit but then got my wet suit and had to try it out. Don't know if I would go back to my dry suit. I am in Central Alberta and the water temp was 7-9C air temp was 18C or so. The forcast does not look all that good for the next few weeks and think the season is done. At night the temp is getting very close to freezing. Not to sure if I will be able to test it out any more.

Buy the Camaro. You won't be disappointed. It is warm, comfortable and very versatile. Good for cold mornings when water is tolerable and days when water is colder.

It doesn't hold as much water as other suits either so keeping it on between sets doesn't make you as cold as other suits.

• Baller

Tips on preserving your Blacktec Suit:

1) Take your time putting it on / taking it off. Invest a minute, add a season of life.

2) Trim your fingernails. Also, use the pads of your finger tips to pull and tug it into place. If you don't know how to do this, ask a lovely lady who wears nylon stockings to show you how to avoid runs while putting them on. Apply the same technique.

3) Wear board shorts over the suit. The material isn't real slippery and can grab when settling into the driver seat while your buddy takes a set. There are many opportunities to snag the suit when entering/exiting the water. Board shorts can protect the suit.

4) Wear a rash guard top over the suit. Sometimes ski vests have rough edges or seams which can dig into the suit. A rash guard between the suit and vest will protect it.

5) Store it inside out. The inner fabric layer is a little more durable. Once dry and clean, store it inside out to protect the more delicate black surface.

6) Keep an eye on the stress points. Those circular tape dots are a clue. Those points may need a little care from time to time. I use neoprene adhesive to reattach them when they start to come loose. (Neoprene Queen or Aquaseal, etc.)

Hopefully, you can get a few seasons out of your suit! Take that price and divide by 3, and it is a heck of a great value!

• Baller

Camaro certainly is a great product. I have both Blacktec and Modtec. They are unbeatable if we speak about temp range and comfort.

But.

If we are talking about abilities to keep you warm in really cold water, neither 2mm suit can be equal to 5mm one. No matter of brand. Simple physics.

I can ski in full Blacktec early morning in the summer, but no chance to do the same in 5mm warm suit. Did that once and felt like in microwave oven. Could not ski.

• Baller
I have used my Blacktec 2mm full suit down to 42 F degree water. Air maybe in the low 50's. Had more problems keeping my hands warm. I had to go to neoprene duck hunting gloves. After using the Blactec will not even consider getting another bulky,leaky dry suit. Same for others at the lake that have brought the Camaro. One thing is if there is any slight breeze after skiing a set the evaporation of the water of the suit cools you down really quickly. We either jump into a hot shower and take the suit off or quickly remove it and put dry togs on. Just stating my experience. Like everything else others experience and opinion will probably differ.

• Baller

@colo_skier good point, did not think about this aspect - probably hydrophobic surface of Camaro wetsuit is not less important (even more) then cold resistance.

Because skier is not in the water like diver: we actually riding against 40+ mph wind. Porous hydrophilic surface can make suit really cold for skier.

• Baller

This wekend was skiing in Blacktek 2. Water/air temp was 53/53.

Had autumn jogging leggins and 0.5 Modetec top under full suit.

Felt really warm, even in the boat during the way back to spot. I think can use this setup down to 50/50.

The only limitation are cold hands at the beginning, but afler couple of passes it was Ok.

• Baller

@colo_skier Yes, I do! ))

Playing with first layers may largely extend temperature range of wet suit. The simplest way is to use polypro first layers for winter skiing.

There are even more bonuses -

-Thin neo top under suit saves you from cold water coming through zip like sharp pins

-Puting suite on becomes really easy - you just slide in like oiled

-Suit is less restrictive because in addition to stretch it sliding on the skin

And more.

• Baller
@OldboyII Thanks for the information. Never really felt the need to add another layer even down to 42F water. It's usually my hands that are the problem. Of course here in Colorado a sunny day with no humidity is probably a lot easier to bear. Agree with the cold water through the Zip when you first get in though.

• Baller
@OldboyII we keep a cooler full of piping hot water in the boat with a cup. Pour a cup into each glove before putting on. Same in boots. Once you have them on, dump a tiny bit more in each. When you drop in, hold hands up above water until line comes tight. On breaks, do the same. Some folks use latex gloves under ski gloves to keep the skin dry but I've never tried that.

• Baller

Here is my experience with the .5 Mdetec top under the suit.

It protects you from the schock of cold water coming through the zipper on the suit.

It seems like it slows down water coming into the shorty.

It is very light and flexible.

It adds warmth.

With this I no longer use my Sahara dry suit.

Perhaps that information is assist to you.

• Baller

@svxwilson Before I got Camaro Modetec 0.5 top, my first layer set was Assics lightsnow tight and same top. It was very-very warm and comfy to get in suit because they are very tight in cuffs and ankles area. I think that running gear is better for first waterski layer because it is conturing body and do not form folds.

Now I use Modetec as a first layer top like @Cent - it even better.

In addition use 2mm neoprene socs and neo beanie.

Feel like summer skiing ))

The only area that feels water are hands.

@UWSkier thanks for advices. If no rain next weeked Im going to try thick latex gloves, but with a bit moist inside - it may hold warm layer of water next to skin and block cold water. Same as wetsuit does.

PS Hint - before I got Modetec top, and when water was too cold I placed piece of poliethelene under wetsuit zip - it stops water to go straight to skin :)

• Baller
For under layer I use an O'Neill polyprop' ss, long Duofold top and Rebok compression shorts with long Spynn cycling tights under my O'Neill Assault dry suit (all neoprene not the Hybrid), Nike dry fit socks in my boots and HO World Cup neoprene gloves - pretty toasty

• Baller
Just got and used my Camaro full suite. Water temp was 56. Not only was I warm, but after skiing, 60-70% of the inside of suit was still dry. Yet, this was very easy to put on/off, kept me warm and did not hinder or intefere with my skiing like other wetsuits or drysuits. Il'll report back when the water gets colder, but like others said, I'll never go to a drysuit again.

• Baller

Purchased my first 2 Camaro Blacktec suits from Robby the other day. I tried it on and cant wait to give it a try in the water. I am comfortable with no suit into the high 50's, the wife on the other hand is not as warm as me so she will be the real test.

First impressions are right in line with what everyone has said. One of the most comfortable suits I have tried and you loose very little mobility. So far I am impressed.

• Baller

I purchased a long sleeve shorty blacktec and got to test it's thermal capacity when my dry suit ripped in early spring. Here in Montana that means there's snow on the ground and the water is about 43-50 degrees. I had no problem at all. It was like magic. However, by the end of the very same season, it wasn't keeping me warm in 60 degree water and 60 degree air. There were so many pinholes in the suit that the original design was too compromised to perform properly. I didn't pamper it to the same degree that ToddL suggests, but I was always very conscious of being gentle with it.

I have since picked up another drysuit and prefer the extra warmth it provides during early and late season, but I will absolutely be purchasing another blacktec to replace my old one for next season. This time I'll employ some of Todd's hints.

• Baller

At glance Camaro looks like simplified wetsuit for triathlon.

Few what I touched, made from Yamamoto neoprene, have the same feel. Though I never tried them in the water.

If anyone uses triathlon suit - could you share your experience?

• Baller
@Oldboyll I used an Aquasphere 1mm suit for a while which I believe is a relatively low end tri suit and it was pretty good it was very warm for the thickness. If the neck wasn't too tight I would probably still be using it. I don't have a Camaro suit though to compare it to.

• Baller

Today Air/Water temp - 9C/9C (48/48)

Skied with same setup:

1.5 Camaro Black

1.5 Neo Socks

Neo cap

Plus kitchen rubber gloves under ski gloves (thanks for advices above & my best half)

Under Wetsuit:

1.5 Camaro Top & long running pants

Changed Animal & Rtp to warmer double xMax.

Was skiing 25 minutes w/o tea break and had a strange feeling that I'm completely isolated from outside temps. Looks like have reserve for couple of degrees less.

No drysuit from now )

• Baller
@OldboyII that a nice cool ski day! The skiing is done for us in Alberta this year, the white stuff came yesterday afternoon. Had to dig out the kid snow suits so they could go build snowmen. At least it is less then 20 days till we head to Flordia.

• Baller
I think I got one of the suits from REI we will see if it shows up. I was thinking of buying one anyway so the timing was good. I will compare it to a friends suit to see if they are the same. I figured it was low risk because if I don't like it I can just bring it back to REI which is right around the corner from my house.

• Baller
Skied yesterday 51 air 50 water. Also spent a solid 25 min in the water pulling buoys with my Blacktec and body never got cold. Suit has broke in and is even more comfortable. Love it. Just want to say thank you too all who suggested Camaro to me! Now I want the short leg long sleve version also.

• Baller
I skied a couple weeks ago in Michigan in a Black Tec 1.0 top and shorts. Water in mid to low 60's. I was plenty warm until I got out of the water and my toes got cold enough to hurt. Again, it's not as durable as some other wetsuit tech, but it's warmer and lighter.