How many of your slalom falls resulted in medical care

swbca

• Baller_

Skied ~30 years in competition, was able to train at least once per day most every day of the week during Minnesota summers. That's a lot of skiing, but avoided falling frequently.

1. I put my hand through the handle falling forward over the 1 ball - broken wrist.

2. I tore soft tissue parts on a rib crossing the wake laying down. - decades later still need cortisone shot at the beginning of every ski season because nerve gets inflamed.

• Baller_

Zero that required actual medical attention in over 45 years.

The closest I have gotten were:

1. Sprained ankle from helicoptering into the water - 10 days to recover enough to ski

2. Sprained ankle from rear binding that did not release - a week before skiing, but some lingering pain for a month or so.

3. Faceplant stepping off of a ski to attempt to barefoot at 40 mph. Scorpioned and kicked myself in the back of the head with my own heels. My back hurt for a week or two.

4. OTF with nearly completing a full front flip with the ski on, but held the handle through the in-air rotation and wrenched my left shoulder. I could not pick up a water glass from the counter with that arm for a while. It was really sore for a month or more. Not sure how long I was off the water - probably a few weeks.

5. OTF that was a bell ringer. I got back on the platform and just didn't feel right for a few minutes. I did ski a second set, but I probably should have sat that out and verified that I didn't have a concussion.

I've probably had at least 20 OTFs over the entire time. You can see one of them (not the bell ringer) here:

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Broken rib. 2 times.

Last year (exact this day) I had a severe accident.

5 days in ER. Sick leave 120 days.

Due to CLINCHER I hold on until upper arm bone broke. Rope started to fray.

Arm got extended so I damaged nervs to both hands. Brok my neck in the fall also.

Some more bad discs (back)

Still on rehab with pain but ski as training.

• Baller
First one in 55 years of skiing was on 7/31/21. First tournament of the year, first set, 3rd pass. Late into 5 ball at 32 off, tip hit the ball went down fully extended, dislocated left shoulder. ER to get it back in, no fun. Ski season over for 2021. Initial doc said might be ok but follow up a few days ago said poss Rotator cuff and labrum damage. MRI coming up will show anything amiss. Will do whatever needed to get back but could be end of Tourneys for me.

• Baller_

@Zman Yes, it would probably double if it included injuries that weren't related to a fall. lots of wear and tear injuries, torn bicep parts and others. I could add back, neck and knee surgery. The neck was holding on to slack. The back and knees were wear and tear. With the torn bicep, I didn't go to the doctor, but couldn't ski for a full season.

1. Stitches over left eye from knee in slalom crash

2. Broken ribs from barefoot tumble turn through another boat's wake

3. Broken wrist/muscle damage from arm going through handle falling while doing neck hold barefoot

4. Hyper extended ankle trying a flip wakeboarding

5. Water pressure where it should not go (use your imagination)

None caused lasting issues

• Administrators

@swbca you jinxed me. I didn't get injured but I was testing something today and took a fall hard enough to wonder if I was injured. I completely blame you.

Nothing quite like hitting the wakes with your ribs on the way to 5 ball at 38.

• Baller_
@lpskier What happened with the ankles. I haven't had a binding release this year, but have been concerned that the newer bindings are more dangerous than the old Whiley type bindings I used when I quit skiing in 1992. Especially for M9 bone and joint strength. Have friends with torn Achilles etc.

• Baller

Including but not limited to the surgical extraction of a large splinter in the big toe after stupidly kicking one glove on the dock.

Although that one was not exaclty a slalom fall, but my slalom ski was there, ready to be used…

• Baller_
@lpskier I know the rtp is favored my many of the top skiers. I tried the Radar Hybrid this spring which doesn't hold your heel down at all. I nearly went out the front on every wake crossing when my rear heel would lift. In my prior 30 years of competing I always had a full rear boot because it seemed dangerous to have an uncontrollable crash with only 1 foot attached to the ski. With both feet in, a couple of spins don't hurt anything and you still have your ski on . . . can continue like nothing a happened.

• Baller

For what it’s worth, I got a stupid vanity license plate that reads “OUTFRNT” as something silly, and about a week later I went OTF, broke my ankle, and about ruined the season. Still have the plate, a few screws in the ankle, and a nice scar. I need to get a new license plate but I spent all my money on medical bills.

• Baller
Cut my scalp down the my skull with the aluminum top of my Jobe open class. The veterinarian who normally stitched guys up was not around so had to go to the ER to get stitched up. Due to concussion risk my future wife had to drive my ‘58 Chevy PU with boat in tow an hour and a half home. She had never pulled a boat before and the PU had no power steering…at least she knew how to drive a manual transmission.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.