5.7L - 2015 ski nautique 200 prop

LK_skier

• Baller

What prop is everyone running on the SN 200 with a 5.7? And does a prop impact the wash size and feel? My boats wash feels substantially "harder" or bigger than other 200's I've skied with - its an Open Bow - wonder if they are heavier than the closed bow? When my fuel is very low it feels a lot better but anything over a quarter feels harsh.

Tricker's love the wash but I'm not tricking.

• Baller

The 1868 was the original factory prop and tournament approved prop on the 5.7L 200 when it came out. But the boat ran fairly high RPMs with that prop. Around 2013 they switched the factory default prop to the 654 and that was also the tournament approved prop starting the year they switched. It brought the RPMs down to a more reasonable level. I tried the 1868, 422, and 654 on my first 200 (2011 model) and I ended up also running the 654. It just felt best with that prop. The 200 I have now, with the 5.7L also has a 654 on it.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal - not much elevation here in Brisbane Aust - It's got a 654 on it - seems to be the correct prop. The wash just doesn't feel as nice as a 2012 200 I also ski behind. At all speeds and all rope lengths - the kids say the other 200 is better at their slower speeds and I agree at 34 as well.
I tow @JoelHowley at 58 he agrees too... maybe its not the prop - could be the hydrogate? that is suppose to be level with the hull when in slalom mode? At really low fuel it is better - the fuel tank position wouldn't have moved? Previous owner was a mad tricker so my random theory is they may have adjusted something to make it a nice trick wash?

• Baller

@BlueSki as mentioned above I thought it brought the RPMs down best and felt like it was quieter. Not a scientific assessment just a feel.

My 422 got damaged so I replaced with 654 as an experiment based on feedback from this board (still have 1868 as emergency backup).

I pull some heavy and short line skiers and no one noticed a (negative) difference in performance.

• Baller

A few possibilities:

1. The hydrogate is misadjusted at rest or somehow not in the proper place when the boat is running at speed. Even small variations on the hydrogate have a big impact on the wake. Maybe check this again with a straight edge at rest.
  2. There is weight hiding in the boat somewhere maybe in the bow storage or maybe water in the bilge, etc.
  3. There is a hull defect like "hook" or sag somewhere in the wetted running surface. Check the wetted running surface especially from the transom forward a few feet with a straight edge and make sure it has not developed a defect. Note, a hull defect is unlikely but not impossible in a tow boat especially if it was stored on a lift improperly at some point in its lifetime, like with excessive weight or insufficient or improperly located support. A little hook near the transom could easily impact the wake.

• Baller

I have a 2016 Ski 200 with the 6.2 liter engine. It came with a 668 ACME. I notice a little vibration on a very hard pull with a heavy skier. However it does smooth out when on plain. Is this normal, or would a different prop eliminate the vibration. Shaft alignment was done and everything else was checked out at the dealer. My friend has the 343 engine with a 422 and that boat runs very smooth.

• Baller

@dan1166 it's not that unusual. Typically caused by uneven flexing of the prop blade under heavy load. The more powerful the engine, the more likely it is to happen. It's not that surprising on a 6.2L. It can very from one prop to another. Another 668 prop may behave differently. You may want to call ACME and discuss the situation.

• Baller

I should have asked if the prop and ever been damaged or had any repair done. It's almost alway the case on a repaired prop. Because the process of reworking one blade more then the rest changes the strength of the metal slightly. But it can also happen on a virgin prop that never been reworked.

• Baller

It was never reworked. I hate to purchase another prop only to find the same situation. That is why I was thinking of another size prop. It is my understanding that the 668 is a .150 cup while all others are.100 or .125. Please understand that on a normal pull, it does not vibrate.Thanks for your input. It makes a lot of sense to me.

• Baller

@dan1166 I have had at last count I think 6 Nautiques with the 6.2 and the 668. What you are experiencing is normal and you will feel this on every boat. It happens on full throttle. What you are feeling is the propeller cavitating. In all the driving I do I hardly ever apply full throttle to a skier on a deep water start.