Do you have a slalom “happy place”?

Horton

• Administrators

I am pretty sure I have written about this before but here it is again….

Do you have a slalom “happy place”? I define a happy place as that one thing you focus on that seems to always recenter your skiing. It is not the new thing a coach told you, it is not the thing you know you need to fix. It is that one thing that whenever you think about it your skiing gets back to baseline. Your happy place would likely not be my happy place. In fact, your happy place could be totally illogical to another skier.

I am honestly perplexed that more skiers do not have this in their mental toolbox. Everyone should have that one focus that is basically a “Get Out Of Slalom Funk Card”. It is a reset to baseline focus. Maybe it can not instantly solve a slump but it gets you in a familiar mindset or position. 

Do you have one? If not why not?

• Baller

My "Get out of a slalom funk card" is to focus on where I am looking.

1. Looking down course prior to the ball keeps me balanced and my shoulders up coming into the turn
  2. Coming out of the turn and heading towards the wakes I have my eyes and head looking ahead of the next buoy or even looking at the boat  ensures I am balanced on the ski through my lean
  • Like 2

• Baller

This advice was given somewhat recently by a friend and coach, and it’s become my go-to for a mental reset when things aren’t working:

Feed the handle out slowly, bring the handle back smoothly.  

If I can concentrate and make this happen, everything else falls into place. 

Edited by Mastercrafter
  • Like 1

• Baller

Putting my weight over a straight front leg well before the buoy and ....gently rolling in just before the buoy. (I imagine turning the curved tip of the ski around the buoy).

I can have crummy wakes, lose connection, and tilt, but if I do those 2, I usually make the pass.

• Like 2

• Baller_

From my racing - slow down to go fast -> focus on finishing the turn and not rushing..

IMO - the key in the toolbox is my mental focus, nothing physical (injuries aside) separates a good day from a bad one but mindset makes a huge difference.  My happy place:  when everything clicks, the world slows down, you notice everything, it takes an hour to cross the wake in 2.1 seconds and it's all so easy:-)  Reading some of Ayton Senna's descriptions of his happy place is really interesting.

• Like 3

• Administrators

You guys get it. The real point is to have that one thing you focus on when things are off to get you back to baseline. To all the skiers who do not use this concept I encourage you to consider it.

• Baller

Mine is to focus on nothing! Generally when I think about something, everything else goes out the window. 

Mine is to try as hard as I can to just shut off the brain and let muscle memory take over. Otherwise, when in doubt calm down - stop trying as hard. 

• Like 3

• Baller

My, "back to basics" plan is to ski at home with my wife Jen driving. No noise, no egos, no competition.  I usually start by running 6-8 easy passes at -28 to find my rythym. We chat on the ends of the course about anything but skiing.  Ramp up slowly from there with confidence. Out injured for a week or two. This will be the plan for this Fri I hope.

• Like 1

• Baller

Skiing in Space. (outer space)

My Daughter and I call it mind of no mind, we stole the idea from a shotgun coach called Simon Rynold quote "To move into that zone of peak performance almost complete relaxation and complete focus at the same time" he adds "its very hard to do"

So when over thinking and I have been focusing on the latest fault and the harder we try the worse it gets.............To reboot the brain. I Stop thinking and relax. 

I don't think I just feel. My brain then reboots to a happier place. It feels like you could be skiing in space, everything slows down and the bouys are just things that pass by.

We just say to the crew "don't say anything I don't want to think" Anyone who doesn't respect this gets chucked off the boat.

• Like 1

• Baller

Go to an easier pass and forget the buoys. Focus on just getting a solid body position through centerline and then add back in the buoys while I can maintain that position. I get caught up with the shiny object (buoys) and sometimes need that position reset.