Vests

ballsohard

• Baller

I have a Eagle and a Camaro. I find the Camaro provides more flotation and protection without restricting motion. It is definitely heavier especially when wet. I kind of like the built in back support belt on the Camaro I am not sure it really helps but it makes me feel good.

If the Camaro didn't retain more water it would be a definitely win for me. I haven't seen the Stokes vests but am interested in them. I hate buying stuff without trying it on for vests.

• Baller_
All the vests are good. The best vest is the one that fits you the best. That can be a bit hard to figure out since vests will stretch when they are wet. Like gloves, as a rule if it fits in the store, it’s too big.

Lpskier

• Baller
I LOVE my HO Syndicate vest. I have had Eagle in the past that I really liked. But it doesn't compare to my HO vest. I wouldn't go back. So easy to get on, can't feel it once its on, and it floats me as good as my Eagle vest that had extra flotation.

• Baller
@"Keith Menard" I wrap the waist belt under the vest and wear the black side out. I am not sure if that is right but it seemed right to me. The Camaro has more flotation than a standard Eagle. Not nearly as much as an USCGA vest.

• Baller
The Stokes i have now is my favorite ever. But to @jayski point i did actually hear Jeff Rodgers extoling the virtues of his Overtons vest. If i recall he said he's been using the same two vests for 14 years. Over heard on the dock at The Ridge.

• Baller
Season four on an O'Neill Slasher and while I love the fit and protection, it's getting shabby- good information here to help decide between another Slasher and ??? Radar Drifter looks nice- how's the durability?

• Baller

@davemac ...in terms of flotation, my Stokes vest has more flotation than the Eagle/Camaro vests I’ve owned and worn.

Though I’m not totally in love with my Stokes compared to the Eagle and Camaro designs of 4-5 years ago, it seems to be more durable than other brands. I guess the only thing I somewhat dislike about my Stokes vest is that it initially seemed a little bulkier and I rubbed my upper arms on it a little too much. I guess maybe I’ve gotten used to it? That said, I’ve seen the new Stokes and would like try one...it seems to have a different material that is smoother and less abrasive in the outside.

• Baller_
@skiinxs you speak the truth. I still have and use mine daily. Another reason they don't make them anymore...they actually last unlike todays. I'd pay premium money if someone developed a vest built out of the same materials. Betting lots of skiers would as well once they used one.

• Baller

There are a couple Straightline Ultra Vests in size Small on the Internet. For around $65. I bought one recently and compared to my XL. The floatation panels are exactly the same with the difference being the side and Shoulder material being much smaller. I bought 1.5mm stretch neoprene and am having a canvas shop replace the smaller panels with ones to upsize the vest to XL.

I know it’s a lot of stuff, but I really like the vest and my old one is getting really worn out. Mainly the panels, and depending on how the Small comes out, I may have them replace the panels on the old one as well.